- Stress is a usual part of being human.
- It is a reaction that affects everyone.
- At times it can be helpful as it can motivate us.
- Stress can affect not only our emotional-wellbeing but also our physical-wellbeing.
- When a situation becomes overwhelming our bodies respond.
- The fight/flight or freeze response occurs.
- Each person will find different situations stressful-there is no definite reason or response.
Differing Reactions (you may have others):
- Rapid heartbeat.
- Fast breathing.
- Feeling sick’
- Feeling that you want to shut yourself away.
- Getting angry when you wouldn’t usually.
- Not sleeping or wanting to sleep more.
- Using drugs/food/alcohol etc to change how you feel.
What can we do to support ourselves:
- Talk to others (remember stress is a human reaction) and share how you are feeling.
- Keep a diary of your thoughts.
- Get up and go outside.
- Exercise-either alone and or with others.
- Meditation (breathing techinques
- Stop what you are doing when the stress feelings/thoughts come in & do something different.
- Go online to find a group either locally or elsewhere that offers support.